August 26, 2010

CHANGE!

I have had some difficulty with Fancy's lead changes since I brought her home from the trainer. Basically, she wouldn't do one on command. Based on the time she was there, I expected her to have a pretty solid change under her belt. As it turns out, she is still quite green, so I made the trek back to the training barn for a lesson on how to get us communicating better.

In this clip, Billy is showing me his progression from asking my horse to move her hip, to moving her whole body away from leg pressure at the canter. She can already do this at the halt, walk, and jog with ease....for this exercise, he will be working her on a straight line....he starts by picking her up in the face, which she resists. This will always be a bit of a struggle with her...then, he legs her over...then he drops her down and straightens her out....then he picks her....then he legs her over...then he drops her down and straightens her out....then he picks her up and sets her down without leg......then he picks her up and legs her for the lead change....it works!




In this clip, I am using the technique Billy showed me in the previous video clip to accomplish the lead change on a straight line.....it works! Thank you Billy!



In this clip, Billy will be working her on the counter canter circle...this is a bit more difficult than the straight line method shown in the previous video clips....he starts by picking her up in the face...then, he legs her to the outside of the counter canter circle...then he drops her down and circles her around....then he picks her up....then, he legs her to the outside of the counter canter circle...then he drops her down and circles her around....then he picks her up and sets her down without leg......then he picks her up and legs her for the lead change....it works!



In this clip, I am using the technique her trainer showed me in a previous video clip to accomplish the lead change on a counter canter circle.....it works! Thank you Billy!




I am a bit disappointed that she is not further along in her training in regards to lead changes. However, I am quite satisfied with my lesson and will apply the exercises I have learned until they come more automatic to her....all good things in time :)

Happy Trails!
Leah

0 comments: