August 08, 2011

Tough Mudder: T - 14 months!



When you are as terribly out of shape as this old couple, you can't start preparing soon enough for an event like the Tough Mudder! You see, we are older, slower, and fluffy'er than we were 'back in the day'.....I've pumped out a few kids and JR has undergone a few major surgeries...what I am trying to say is that we haven't been keeping ourselves in the best of condition. All that is about to change though!



STEP 1: Get some running shoes!



We need to start MOVING....we have some issues to consider though. JR has had 2 back surgeries and a torn Achilles tendon...I have moody knees...we need some shoes that will be kind to our worn and neglected bodies....after a considerable amount of research, I found barefoot running to be very popular; it encourages proper carriage and strike area in the foot, reducing concussion and stress to your body....such a simple, yet integral concept to our fitness! Not only was I reading great things, but I was also talking to good friends and coworkers that also provided personal testimony on the subject. We decided to give them a try....first, we went to Dick's and tried SKELETOES.....these seemed to fit either too loose or too tight no matter the sizing we tried...also, the pads didn't fit right on the sole of our feet, and JR's alien length toes were all cramped up in the toe spaces....these obviously were not going to work. After talking with my coworker and Glamazon Cross Training Queen/Fitness Guru about our struggle, she recommended the Merrel Trail Glove. I did a quick Internet search and found them at Saxon Shoes right behind the Spotsylvania Mall....we stopped in after work, tried them on, and immediately fell in love! The fit around the heel and arch is perfect and the roomy toe box was suitable for Mr. alien toes too! We snatched those puppies right up and took them home to try them out.



Here is the Trail Glove that JR got:


Here is the ladies version, the Pace Glove, that I got:








We measured a short track on the property as you can see below. We start at the house and walk toward the road, then loop back down to the barn, around the arena, and back to the house. One loop is .8 miles, and we are walking 4 laps 5 days/week.





The track is a combination of level to slightly graded gravel, grass, and a short steep hill between the house and the barn....the change in footing keeps the workout interesting! We strapped our new shoes on and headed out last night for our regular 4 laps....the shoes were extremely comfortable right off the bat.....we could notice ourselves treading more lightly across the ground and the improved contact with the ground as well....the burn in our calves was indicative of the weakness the barefoot approach will hopefully help us resolve. We were in such a hurry to get out last night that I wore my dress socks and did not change into running socks as I should have...I ended up with a slight blister on one heel where the sock had gotten thin....I'm hoping this won't happen again with the use of proper socks.....we'll see tonight! Other than that, the new shoes seem to be working out great....it is advised that the transition to barefoot-type running is taken slow so your muscles and tendons have an opportunity to build up strength...I think we'll continue at the walk for another week or so and see how that goes....3 miles at a fast walk is still a good workout at this point! Randi has formed a habit of wanting my to carry her for a portion of the workout as well....adding 40 lbs, even at the walk, increases the difficulty quite a bit! In other words, don't judge me....I can walk if I want to...hmph.



Happy Trails,


Leah



0 comments: