January 01, 2009

Fancy Update: FIRST RIDE!



The first ride is always a bit nerve wracking for both horse AND rider....even if you've done all the ground work ahead of time, there's no way to know exactly what is going to happen when you put your foot in that stirrup and climb on.....In Fancy's case, you can see above what happened....she smiled and posed for the camera....what a ham!

So, I asked her to move forward at the walk, using the same verbal commands I taught her during our ground-work, and we were off just like that! On a totally random note, notice the heavy jacket? That's because it's high 20's, low 30's today.....nothing like the 'no-jacket' weather we had JUST LAST WEEK where I was sweating in a long sleeved shirt!!!! What is with this crazy weather??? Anyway, back to the subject of little Ms. Fancy-Pants.....here she is walking forward on command like such a good girl....I love this horse, have I mentioned that before? Maybe once or twice? We're gonna grow old together.....



Once we are walking consistently around the arena, I start asking her to bend and turn to the left and right...Now we're cookin' with fire!


Finally, I work up the courage to ask her for the trot and lo-and-behold off we go! And in a totally collected, controlled, and completely 'what took you so long to ask me for it' kinda way! I so underestimated her! On another totally random and somewhat embarrassing note....I am not without pet peeves...I have lots of them...mostly neurotic, anxiety laden, petty, obsessive and compulsive in nature....but when riding, THIS one is one of my biggest: pants riding up....I normally make very sure I buy my jeans at the 36" length to ensure that when I am riding, the heel and 'upper' of my boots are ALWAYS completely covered.....I pulled this old pair of jeans that were obviously purchased 10lbs and 4 inches ago and put them on without considering the photogenic atrocity that awaited me....please look away....I'm sorry.....


Fancy is scheduled to go to finishing school next Sunday, so I will try to get some video shot before she leaves...I sure am gonna miss her! Check back monthly for updates about her 'formal' training!
Happy Trails!
Leah & The Fance
UPDATE: I did not get a chance to take any video of Fancy before she went to school this weekend....our final tally was 2 rides before she left though....we even cantered a little around the indoor arena...I think her trainer is going to have a good time with her....not a mean bone in her body, so I doubt she'll give them much hassle.....stay tuned for more updates!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

well thats new...her first ride and it looks like shes been broke for ages! gotta love a good horse!