January 07, 2009

Oh my darlin'...

Oh my darlin'...
Oh my darlin'... CLEMENTINE!

"Tiny" for short.


We added a new member to our herd this past weekend.....she is a 17+ hand, 12 yr old Clydesdale mare. She came with another name, Claudia, but it wasn't near as fitting for such a pretty girl, so we changed it....she likes it....she told me so....

Clementine is bright eyed, and since her arrival has been taking all the new sights and sounds in with much interest....Westwood is a busy place, and there's a heck of a lot of hooplah going on around here, so there is plenty to keep her entertained. She greets me each morning with her head held high, ears perked up, and a soft low nicker as I walk down the hill to the barn each day....I'm not saying she adores me or anything, but she does really like what I represent, which is FOOD.....a full figured lady like herself did not get that way on beans and bread!

We purchased Clementine to help fill a gap in our herd that was left when our best old nag of 26 yrs passed away this past spring, Fever. She gave a lot of good rides to a lot of good people in her lifetime, and we were looking for something to step in and fill that void. Something that could be our go-to pony for family and friends that wanted to stop in for a ride....Our other horses are too young and green to be that reliable....Clementine is our choice, and I hope she is as happy to have us as we are to have her!

Clementine was a trail riding horse in her previous life and is a bit on the lazy side. She is going to be getting a tune-up this month, since she has had quite a bit of time off and is just a tad rough around the edges....she'll be practicing a lot of turning and stopping exercises to get her more flexible and responsive...the kids are really looking forward to taking her for a spin, as are several friends, so we're putting her to work right away....

It's been cold and rainy since she came home, so I have not had a chance to get any pics....hoping the weather is more cooperative this weekend! Please check back and hopefully I will have some pics of Clementine with the family posted soon!

Happy Trails,
Leah & "Tiny"

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh she's purdy!