February 04, 2009

Her first ride...


Meet Bo! Bo is an aged (nearing his 20's) Quarter Horse Gelding. He is owned by one of my former 4-Hers, Amanda.....Amanda and her family have graciously allowed us to lease Bo so the brats have a good, reliable horse to learn to ride on....Originally we had purchased Clementine for that purpose, but she just isn't quite consistent enough under saddle yet....she is something they are going to have to work up to, and Bo's just the guy to get them there! Talk about quiet, forgiving, and kind! Bo carried Little Brat around on her very FIRST ride ALL BY HERSELF last night.....and he helped make it a positive experience she will never forget!


I am such a proud Mama....Pinki-Dinki-Doo (tucked away in my coveralls) was even there to witness this memorable event!


I got her situated with the reins....reminded LB of her stop, go and turn cues.....and off she went! The last time she used this saddle was a little over a year ago in a leadline class, and I was taken back a bit when I had to drop her stirrups about 6 inches! She has grown so much! I wish she'd slow down a little!!! Mommy isn't ready for her to grow up so quickly...


So with a baby kick of the heels, Bo carried her off....all on her little lonesome....with no mind whatsoever to Mom's skipping heart, shaking hands and slowly oncoming anxiety attack!

I had no idea that my somewhat timid child of years past, had become such a confident little equestrian! This is the same child that would worry when we were riding together if I turned too fast....Now, she wants to know why he won't go FASTER! Good boy Bo, you are taking great care of her...don't listen to her senseless demands.....walking is all Mommy can handle right now...

Lordsy Mercy, NEXT thing I know she is asking for a jump! Doesn't she know Mommy's need TIME to adjust to having their little brats riding all independently, out of their reach, beyond their control, and completely at the will of a 1K animal??? JUMP??? Well, OK, but let's start LOW.....really, really, really, LOW...Yeah, this will do....
As they neared the end of the ride (LB could have ridden all night, but Mommy was turning into a popsicle about this time), one of our boarders arrived to load her horse up to take a lesson at a nearby stable...Bo and Randi both wanted to go with her...so they watched in envy as they loaded up and drove away....I promised them that if they practiced hard at home, they they could haul to another stable someday too....I may have just commited myself to becoming a horse show mom, but I'm cool with that.....I think.....ask me about it in 10 years....

Ole Bo got a heaping amount of love and appreciation for his part in making LB's first ride a great one....I have a feeling these two are going to be very, very, very best friends! Now, I just have to start getting LB used to the fact she has to share Bo with her big sister, who is also learning to ride....I'll break that news on a different day though...no need to spoil the moment :)

Happy Trails!
Leah
PS....A special THANK YOU to Ms. Vickie, who made the ride so much more fun by playing cat and mouse around the arena with these two! Also, for taking our Mommy-Daughter pic! You're the best!

0 comments: