February 28, 2009

Yummy in My Tummy: BISCUITS & GRAVY

It's been a while since my last recipe post...I took a short break at the request of a friend who need to slow her weight gain...you see, this food is good! The kind of good that sticks to your hips and ties to your thighs good! Biscuits and Gravy is a staple of our diet...I have the pudge to prove it! We have it almost every weekend, and I am not sure why it's taken me so long to post it! I guess its just that it disappears so dadgum fast I haven't the time for pics! I was up bright and early this morning tho, and got a head start on the hungry masses....so here you go!

Our infamous cast of characters:

Lots of Milk (maybe 6 cups? I have a problem committing)
Lots of Flour (maybe 2-3 cups? again, lack of commitment on my part, sorry!)
Buttermilk Biscuits (plan for at least 2 per person)
Jimmy Dean Regular Sausage (1 or 2 packages depending on how sausagy you like your gravy)



Let's get started by preheating the oven and gathering the goods! Once the oven is ready, pop in your biscuits...I highly recommend the Buttermilk variety, but use your favorite! Make it your own! Go ahead, you won't hurt my feelings...



Now, heat up your favorite skillet and toss in that Jimmy Dean sausage (I used 1 pkg here)....I must declare, Jimmy Dean cannot be matched....so although I will not be offended if you choose an alternative biscuit above, I have to say that substituting the Jimmy Dean for any other type of less than perfect sausage would be a disgrace...and I might cry...really...you don't want to carry that guilt, do you? Trust me, stick with Jimmy Dean!



After your sausage is browned, toss a cup or so of flour in there to soak up all the grease and bond to the meaty wonderfulness! Mix it around until all the sausage is covered in flour...add flour as needed....it's your call!



Here's the scary part...grab your security blankie, put on your lucky socks, rub your faithful Buddha...whatever you need to do to feel good about yourself before we take this next step...cause it's a doozy! Ready? OK, here we go......pour some milk directly into the skillet with your sausage....go ahead....it'll be OK.....just pour and pour and pour until you are a hair more than 1/4 inch from the top of the pan...this will thicken, and adding too much could be hazardous to the husband cleaning up your mess afterwards! I speak from experience!



So here I added about a cup more of flour and stirred it into the milk/sausage mixture....that gives it just the right consistency for what my family likes....a smidgen on the runny side you might say! If you like your gravy thicker, then by all means flour it up! It's your masterpiece!



Now watch the magic happen...turn it up to about 8 of 10 on the heat scale and slowly stir until you see it thicken up....I let it thicken for a couple more minutes while I continue to stir....then I take it off the heat altogether and let it sit to thicken s touch more....



While that gravy is cooling down, I plate my biscuits (which should have come out of the oven about the same time as the gravy started to thicken)....JR really likes his Biscuits & Gravy, so he gets 3!


And finally, top with your gravy.....the more flour you add, the thicker it will be....the longer it sits and cools, the thicker it will be....it's really a tummy pleasing breakfast you can tailor make for your own family....ENJOY!


Happy Trails,
Leah

0 comments: