February 19, 2009

Bathroom Remodel: HERE WE GO!

Some of you may remember our recent Living Room Project. For those of you that don't, you can click on that link and get caught up on all the fun and excitement that was had!

This time around, we have a bit more work to get to our final goal....this bathroom has issues....deep, worrisome, atrocious, inferiority, gross issues....You can say we had to break this one down to the core in order to build it back up to something that brings us to a happy place....a place you would feel joy and peace and total delight....a place barren of mold, mildew, stinky stinkiness, dirt, grime, and sorrow....follow along as we blaze this trail together!!!

Where did we start? Well, about here.....this is the jetted soaking tub that was installed below floor level as you walked in....a real show piece in its time I'm sure! Not exactly the country tub we had in mind though....


Along the same wall, and to the left of the tub you find some built in shelves, a shower, and the toilet...Yes, that is green carpet in this here bathroom....without a door on this shower, that carpet soon became the choice location for mold and mildew to live...they came from miles around!


Finally, we peek around all the way to the left as we enter the room and find a quaint little sink, with a couple antique pieces to comfort it....Simple and sweet, but not near enough counter space or mirror for a full family to share...this IS the main full bath in the home....in order to reach the other full bath, you have to climb a 3rd flight of stairs....so we need to make this little space as functional as possible for the lot of us!

So, we started by ripping up the flooring and tub...


Then we ripped out the shelving, shower and toilet!


And finally we ripped out that sweet little pedestal sink and stripped all the wallpaper off the walls....we lost the antiques to the previous owners....wah!


We made some repairs to the drywall that you cannot see....updated plumbing and electric...applied about 94857298374 coats of KILZ....closed the door, and let it sit...and sit...and sit until all trace of the odors, stains, and scorn were gone! During that time, we did trek up these steep-a$$ stairs multiple times a day to get to the second full bath in the house...my booty has never been tighter! TMI? Sorry! Even so, we looked forward to getting this bathroom operational again so we didn't have to make that climb!


Well, we finally got a tub, a shower, a toilet, and a sink installed...and even functioning! We even put down a nice vinyl flooring that is easy to clean up.....and that's about as far as we've gotten...functional, but not very pretty!!!! That's where Kate comes in! Kate is my twin sister in home decoration....except with the time, talent and resources to actually do it...a family member asked me a great question..."Why don't you just do it yourself?"....One would think that if Kate is merely implementing my own ideas and style, that I would be saving a lot of money to just do it myself! That may be partially accurate, but what she is saving ME is so much more!

  • TIME being the biggest savings....I work a 40-50 hr week close to an hour away from home. My second job requires me to spend a lot of time working outside in and around our equestrian facilities....My animals need exercise and attention.....My toddler requests some quality time with her Mommy...and my husband is becoming more of a stranger to me every day! That doesn't even take into consideration the training and certification classes and studies I am involved in on a regular basis....Yes, TIME is a major factor...Kate answers that by getting the job done when I just don't have the time to do it....and normally while I am at work so I get to come home a fresh and new view of my home!
  • EFFORT is another big savings by hiring Kate....it takes a large amount of effort to organize resources, pick out, pick up and apply paint, wainscoting, crown molding, etc...I get exhausted just thinking about it! You see, I am freakishly indecisive! Kate is not afflicted with this disease I battle...Therefore, she is able to make quick decisions and implement them before I could even hope to narrow down my options to 3498573487!!!!! She's AMAZING!
  • MONEY is a wash for me....because I usually take many more attempts to reach my goal than she does, I am saving money by not having to redo things I have done and decide later I do not like....case in point is our bathroom wainscoting....we put it up ourselves...I am not too big to admit it is atrocious...no lie....now she has to redo it....not going to make that mistake again! Kate will also work with us on payments....so even in this depressed economy where we are all feeling the pinch, we are able to work out a payment plan that enables us to get the work done, and get her paid in a timely manner too....it's a win-win!
So, Kate and her crew are at the house today and tomorrow working their magic...I am beside myself to get home and see the progress! Stay tuned for some super cool AFTER pics!!!

Happy Home Improvement,
Leah

0 comments: