March 02, 2009

Holy Snow!

The weather service wasn't far off...we have close to 10 inches of snow on the ground this morning, and it's still coming down! I couldn't even get any pics because of the cold, white, blurry mess....The wind howled all night long and sounded like a freight train making continuous circles around the house...I don't even recall a storm this bad in recent history....I am hoping it lets up by this afternoon so I can get some good pics of the snow cover....

All that said, after I cleared the snow from the Durango, Randi and I hit the road to school/work. After all, I learned to drive in this kind of weather...I got my license in the winter in Northern California (Modoc County)....even the school buses drove in blizzards!

I have learned that to successfully navigate the cold and icy roads, you really have to commit to the following:
  1. ALWAYS USE 4x4...if you don't have 4x4 (or at the very least front wheel drive), STAY OFF THE ROADS! You are a danger to yourself and those around you! Navigating the most subtle of inclines, declines, or turns can put you in a world of trouble without the extra traction.
  2. SLOW DOWN...the normal speed limits do not apply! I cruised at a comfortable 35-40mph this morning all the way into work without a single issue....except of course the stress of the 2 or 3 speed mongers that just had to whip past everyone at dangerously close proximity and speeds.
  3. INCREASE YOUR FOLLOWING DISTANCE...in wet and slick conditions, you need more distance to stop...even if you are able to stop on a dime some of the time, plan for the worst...the one time you think you are fine, is when you'll lose traction and get yourself and possibly those around you in a jam...you cannot predict when the driver in front of you will brake unexpectedly..increase your following distance so you don't have to guess!
  4. WHEN IN DOUBT.....STAY OFF THE ROAD!

That's all I have to say about that....I think the snow scared off the majority of the drivers this morning....there were vehicles out there, but not a single accident between home and work...just a single stalled truck on the highway....

Stay safe out there!

Leah

0 comments: