March 20, 2009

Living the Dream! Or Not?


Not much has really changed about me since those days....my hair is still a stylists worst nightmare...my fashion sense is still dictated by my work environment....and I still eat with my mouth wide open...

Our high school FFA program was very active...thanks to our super motivated and dedicated ag teachers, we were educated on all things aggie, and were also afforded the opportunity to participate in a lot of really great leadership conferences and activities (did I mention most of those activities were excused absences from school? That's right! Just one of the many perks to FFA membership!)...


I actually gleamed a lot of great experiences as a result of being involved in FFA....and look at me now! All earthy and organic and (as a good friend describes it) "Little House on the Prairie'ing" it up! I guess I am living that dream that FFA promoted to us back in the day....a life promoting the awareness of the land, livestock, and natural resources around us...well, as much as a person can be in a teaming metropolis, working 40-50 hrs a week for 'the man', and holding down a home business....we do have a tractor and lots of cool implements...we do contribute more manure for our land and our community than anyone within a stones throw.....we do bale the hay off our land for local cattlemen...and we DID get our garden started! We are even getting set up for chickens! Come on now, that has to count for something....I am not even a chicken-lover....they are MEAN....and pecky, and stuff....but I want those 'farm fresh' eggs in my fridge....and my mom says she'll keep them in line....she'll have to, I am incapable of interacting with them....the last experience I had with chickens was way back in the day....I was playing hide and seek and opted for the chicken coop as my hideout....did you know chickens get fleas? Well, neither did I....and I think ours must have been bordering on infestation...within minutes those little boogers were crawling all over my skin, in my hair, and up my nose! By the time I realized what was happening, my skin was burning like the dickens! And those chickens....clucking at me, mocking me, blocking the nearest exit! It was horrible! I busted out of that chicken coop like a man on fire and ran straight to the house....I jumped into the bath-tub...complete with ice cold water (no time to wait for it to heat up!), and attempted to drown away the prickly bites of a million angry fleas....it takes quite a bit longer than you would expect...turns out, those fleas had gills...I swear it!....and to this day, chickens make my skin crawl....and fleas....

Anyways, we are trying to do our part...

Happy Trails,
Leah

1 comments:

Blogger said...

I just got a cheque for over $500.

Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can make by taking paid surveys from home...

So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for taking paid surveys to set the record straight once and for all.