April 27, 2009

Randi shows solo!

The Little Brat competed this past Sunday in her very first solo ride. She was entered in the Walk Division at one of our local horse shows....She had three classes: Pleasure (judged on the horse), Equitation (judged on the rider), and Trail (judged over obstacles)...

Here's the Little brat now getting warmed up before her first class, Pleasure....she took ole Bo around to get the lay of the land...
Her big debut....there she goes! All by her lonesome! I don't dare offer my assistance either....she's a big girl ya know....just ask her!

I just stood there in the center and kept quiet....I positioned myself right be hind the judge, and the Little Brat held her own!

She even passed others in the class with control and confidence....that's my girl! Notice the other riders were all about twice her age....she'll only be 4 next month, but she wants NO part of being led around like a baby!

After her 'rail' classes, she tackled Trail. She had some pretty tight turns to navigate on the first obstacle, and needed a tiny bit of unwelcome assistance to get straighted out, but the rest of the course she nailed! Here she is walking thru these tight poles!

Then, she had to walk a serpentine around 5 cones....check out her steering...just like driving her JD...kinda...


Then it was into the box....making sure to stop INSIDE....and she did! Bo second guessed her and so she had to give him the old heave WHOA! It was very loud....the judge was in tears! But she got him turned around and back outa that there box just like she was supposed to!


Next, the chute lay ahead....she walked between the poles and over one as well...she liked that part...she said it was like 'jumping'....lol

And finally, over the flower bordered bridge! No sweat!

I don't think I could have hoped for a better first solo go of it for her.....we have a little bit of whine factor to contend with in the future, tho....she likes to do it more when I'm around, so I need to make myself more scarce I guess.....maybe I'll position myself just out of view....we'll see how that works....
After her rides, she found some new friends to hang with....she gravitates to boys....the run and holler and cause all sorts of mischief together....today was no different. She commandeered their DVD player....


Poor ole sleepy Bo taking a nap in the shade....

Here are some videos of the exciting day...Enjoy!

The Little Brat in her Walk Pleasure Class.





The Little Brat walking her Walk Trail course.





The Little Brat in her Walk Trail Class




Happy Trails,
Leah

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so CUTE! What a great horse she has!How is everything?
Love corey

John and Leah Roehl said...

Thanks....we had a really great time and talked about you a lot...were your ears burning? LOL
Basically, when the Little Brat gets her game face on, she gets all pouty like YOU used to....hahaha....NO SMILES....unless someone puts a camera in her face, of course, which is totally UNLIKE you were....you hated cameras...looking forward to the next show! I am planning on NOT being in the ring next time (was just doing it for safety reasons this time)so she can't whine to me....she has already promised to only whine 2 times instead of 3...she's a pleaser! HA!

Cuisin4Style said...

OMG!!! That is the CUTEST "Whoa" I have EVER heard!!! Congrats on the first show : )