April 06, 2009

Just Jump!

...WE DID!

Woodie and I that is...I am normally very methodical, to the point of being anal retentive, about how I sequence my training....I like to have step 1 mastered before I even begin to think about step 2...I did all the appropriate ground work with Woodie as a long yearling and 2 yr old...lots of bitting up, ground driving, and round pen work....with all my T's crossed, I moved to begin his training under saddle...Walk in frame with collection, CHECK! Leg yield left, CHECK! Leg yield right, CHECK! Jog in frame with collection, CHECK! Trot in frame with collection, CHECK! Canter in frame with collection, CHECK! Left Lead, Check! Right Lead, Check! Pivot on the forehand, CHECK! Pivot on the haunches, CHECK!......get my drift? I am very methodical, do I need to go on? Hello? Anyone still awake out there?

Before I lose my point, what I am getting at is that it's against everything I am to skip a step and tempt the natural order of the world around me...but today, I did just that! I really wanted to have more miles on Woodie under saddle, and a solid lead change on him as well, before I started him over fences....he's 4 this year...physically mature, and in a place mentally to need a bit more challenge than I've had the time to offer him....so today I reversed the ocean tides and took him for a spin, over a few cross rails! Lo-and-behold, the big boy just cantered around like he's been doing them all his life...we took about 10 jumps total , and nailed about 8 of them in perfect stride....so, I guess there is something to this thing called spontaneity....it's exciting, and exhilarating, and I may even try it again sometime! Just wish I'd had a 3rd arm to get some pics....I kinda planned it so nobody would be around in the event I made a fool of us both tho....cuz I'm self conscious, and a little paranoid like that.....

So, stay tuned, I may just start hauling this big guy around to see what else he'll do....time is not on my side these days, so I sure do appreciate his aptitude to go with the flow....we can go back and work on that lead change another time....

Happy Trails!
Leah

0 comments: