October 08, 2009

Babies and Bad Words...

Doesn't this happen to all of us eventually? Despite our best attempts to shelter our spawn from the evil, muck, and goobers of the outside world - they learn...and absorb...and eventually, pick up a few not so fashionable things along the way. It happens! For the most part, when the Little Brat has snuck in a foul word here and there I have been able to bite my tongue and minimize my reaction to the situation. Like when we were driving down the road and it started to drizzle..."D@mnit, it's raining!", she exclaimed. Or when we went out to feed a month or so back and the temperature had dropped to a chilly level..."It's Freakin' cold!", she shivered. In both instances I was able to maintain my composure, and not make any acknowledgement to the matter beyond "Let's not speak like that honey. BLANK is not an appropriate word for you to use." Since then, those words have never found their way back into her vocabulary...low-key was the ticket!

Then came this conversation over dinner the other night. Gpa Craig is in town and helping us renovate several of our aged out buildings. He's a man's man....rough around the edges and calls it like it is....he does not have a terribly bad mouth, but can let the occasional 'informal' curse out in conversation now and then....we hardly even notice....MOST of the time.
  • Gpa Craig: "You know, once we get these sheds done, Leah will have a place to store all her sh!t, JR will have a place for all his sh!t, and all the automotive sh!t can finally be put together!"
  • We all nod our heads in agreement and continue eating.
  • All of us except for the Little Brat.
  • Little Brat: "Where will I put MY sh!t, Gpa?"
Composure wasn't an option. I choked. I laughed. I cried. I about died. Gpa Craig tried to recover, but there was no hope. His support system failed him. We'll do better next time ;).

2 comments:

Rocky Mountain Yankee said...

Oh, that made me laugh! When my daughter was first learning to talk the "S" word was one she picked up pretty easily. It got so bad that whoever was the last person to say the word and have her repeat it was "it" from then on. My husband and I mended our ways pretty quickly but my mother in law is still "it"!

~*~Lysh~*~ said...

That is too funny (and cute)!! Wait until she starts school. Oh what great things they come home with then!!