October 09, 2009

The Virginia State Fair!

While JR and Gpa Craig were busy stripping paint off the old buildings, I opted to take the Little Brat to the NEW & IMPROVED Virginia State Fair! The State Fair has officially moved from it's prior home in Richmond to The Meadows event park in Doswell....that made it even closer and more convenient for us to get to! What a terrific time we had! After we parked, we took a shuttle to the front gates to get our entry tickets...we had to navigate through a couple of these cool tunnels....LB loved that!


Then, it was straight to the rides...the kiddie rides were right after the fair food and conveniently consolidated in one circular area so we could just go to one...

after the other....



after the other!



Once we got up high in the Ferris Wheel, I was able to get some great shots of the layout and festivities..this is the new equestrian center, complete with new Barnmaster barn, multiple riding rings, and plenty of parking...a HUGE improvement over the last location where the single riding arena was not so conveniently located next door to the demolition derby area (often going on at the same time).....



..and this shot is out over the kiddie area and back towards the parking fields...



But there is such a thing as 'too much of a good thang'....the operator of this ride probably thought the kids would LOVE the extra 10 minutes in these small plastic cars going around a 10 ft loop....I think he was wrong...and I think you can read LB's feelings about it by the expression on her face...one child actually fell asleep....



Eventually we had exhausted ourselves on all the rides and had to acquire some sustenance before we both passed out! Fair food is the BEST! Well, maybe not the best FOR you, but just LOOK at all those fries....and if we are going to enjoy corn-dogs once a year, the fair could not be a more appropriate place!


After our tummy's were full, we mosied on down to the 'Heritage Village' to explore days gone by...LB got a hand made bead necklace, and a spin in a chuck wagon pulled by Colton the Ox! She even got to sit in the driver's seat!



This wild band of Indians passed by at one point....the good mother that I am, this is where I reminder LB that those were the EXACT people that would be coming to get her when she was naughty and I threatened to 'send her back to the Indians'...is that wrong? In my defense, my mom said it to me!



This old steam engine captivated LB's attention...you could pull the chains and play 'Mary had a Little Lamb'...and she did!




..and once we had toured the entire village, we headed for our last stop of the day, the agricultural tents! Just look at those baby chicks...LB wanted to bring them all home, and I'm sure the dogs would have LOVED that idea too! mmmMMMmmm



this calf was born just 6 hrs prior to us arriving...could he be more precious?



Here's one animal we haven't had as a family...I did raise several sheep as a youth for 4-H though...not my favorite animals...they aren't real 'thinkers', if you get my drift.


...and what fair experience would be complete without a useless novelty gift that made an obnoxious noise? At least they aren't known for 'quality'...this particular horn broke the next day.....oh darn!



How do you know when your fun bag is filled to the top? This is how you know...I hadn't even pulled out of the parking area yet....


I have gone to the State Fair at least 5 of the 9 years I have lived here in Virgina to enjoy the horse show and festivities.....it's never been as great an experience as this time around though...the new facilities was well equipped for everything hosted there...the restrooms were clean, the grounds were well kept, the layout was logical and easy to navigate too! I never looked at a map, but easily found my way around....It was a super good experience for LB's first fair (that she will remember)....We look forward to next year!!!
Happy Trails!
Leah

1 comments:

Christina said...

What day did you go?? I showed Woody on Saturday @ the QH show. If you were there that day and happened to be near the rings, I am sure you would of noticed the women with the angry face the whole time, me....lol