December 24, 2008

The Ice Man Cometh....

Be that a man with an ice pick? Or be that a man happy to see me?


Be it a man not too happy about breaking ice first thing in the morning, that's what it be! Can you feel the chill????

Temps have finally dropped here to well below freezing for several days and nights in a row now...made it as low as high teens night before last even! For many, that means pulling on your favorite pair of cozy sweats and cuddling up with a warm cup of yummy cocoa in the comfort of your home...not around these parts tho! There be ice to break! Can you hear it a callin'? It's that shrieking sound coming from the water troughs....you don't hear it??? Really??? But it's so LOUD! I. MUST. GO. TOWARDS. THE. WATER. MUST. GO......

About this time each year, and on and off for the next few months it becomes a twice a day chore, breaking ice....the horses, dogs, cats, fish, goat, and every other God loving creature that calls this place home counts on us to get it done! So, first thing in the morning, and again when we get home from work, we break ice....we use broken rake handles, shovels, axes, our feet and just about anything else that will effectively shatter the layers of ice on top of all the water troughs for the animals to get access to that precious liquid than lies below....

We do it every day, and we do it for the animals....I would like to take a moment to thank God for only making us do it 1 season out of the year, and not a day more....if I never broke ice again, it would be too soon! It makes my hands ache...it hurts my back.....it's cold and unloving....it's not fun!

All I'm saying is that it's a good thing we have such a good looking herd, like him and her and her and them and him and these guys too! Otherwise, I may just opt out of this whole ice-breaking craziness all-together!

Stay warm out there!

Happy Trails,
Leah

PS...I just felt it necessary to add that I did not just get up this early to poke fun at the old man and his ice-capades, I was out there working my own fingers to the bone too ya know! On my BIRTHDAY no less (hehe...I knew I could sneak mention of that in here somewhere!)...I can prove it! See that bucket of muck just behind the ice-man? That's MY job....and it's full....see? So there!

0 comments: